Thursday, June 4, 2009

Fun Ideas for Bake Sales or Potlucks


Community volunteers, especially those who are parents, are constantly asked to provide food. With pressure to contribute items to bake sales, class picnics, teacher appreciation events, committee meetings, and board socials, it's enough to make a volunteer run to Costco and stock up on veggie trays and giant muffins.

I'm always on the look out for recipes that are fun, not too expensive and easy to make.  I love the old-fashioned recipes from the midwestern synagogue cookbooks I've collected.  (One favorite: Chocolate-on-a-Ritz.  Spread peanut butter between two Ritz crackers.  Dip in chocolate.)  

Recently, I've been inspired by The Only Bake Sale Cookbook You'll Ever Need by Laurie Goldrich and Pam Abrams.  The first chapter provides 23 variations on Rice Krispie Treats.  I made the S'more Treats with Golden Grahams and chocolate chips for the Madrona Mayfair bake sale, and just made Cheery-Os (pictured above) with Cheerios and Nutella for an upcoming school picnic.

What are your bake sale/potluck survival strategies?

3 comments:

Leciawp said...

I love old fashioned recipes too! - I probably have 10 spiral bound church cookbooks. In terms of what I do for potlucks, depends on how much time I have and how important the event is to me :)

Leora Bloom said...

I can't believe you didn't save me a golden graham thingy!!

SherriLynn said...

Leora, I'd gladly trade for anything made by you!