Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Misplaced Limitations and the Return to a Hodge-Podge Blog

As I've discussed in the past, my goal for last year was to explore "what I want to be when I grow up" and to develop a life plan. The one thing I knew for sure, to borrow Oprah's phrase, was that I did not want to practice law. I had spent years proclaiming myself a "recovering lawyer" and discouraging people from attending law school.

During my year of exploration I spent time reading about developing life plans, talking with people in different roles and a various stages of life, and journaling and blogging about various ideas. Eventually, I had a Eureka! moment and decided on a new direction. Then a couple months later, I found a better direction. And a while later, an even better direction.

After a number of false starts it struck me that I really did want to use my law degree and move in a direction related to law. The limitation I had placed on myself -- no law -- seemed helpful when I made it, but really was preventing me from getting to where I wanted to be.

Similarly, placing a restricted focus on my blog -- community volunteering -- has prevented me from posting. Focusing the blog on a particular area seemed like a good idea, but the focus wasn't interesting enough for me to inspire new posts. Instead of launching a new direction, the limitation drained me of passion for blogging.

So, Sherrilynn.com is going back to a hodge-podge blog. I'll post about thing that inspire, interest and entertain me. Hopefully you'll find them inspiring, interesting and entertaining too.

No comments: