Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Great Schlep

I received an e-mail from an NPR reporter today.  She was looking for people from Seattle who are participating in The Great Schlep and willing to talk about it.

Most mornings I feel like I'm undertaking a great schlep as I lug my gym bag, Little S's backpack and lunch box, my computer, and assorted other tote bags down three flights of stairs to the garage.  The Great Schlep, however, is not about parents struggling to get their families to and fro.  It's about getting Jewish grandparents to vote for Obama.

The idea is brilliant.  According to an article in the New York Times, elderly Jewish voters in Florida (and elsewhere) are very concerned with Obama's positions on Israel, the Middle East, and anti-Semitism.  The Great Schlep encourages Jewish grandchildren to visit their grandparents and, using talking points that address these issues, dispel the misinformation that surrounds the candidate.  For example, explain that Obama is not a muslim, he is a friend of Israel, and he has spoken out against anti-Semitism.

When I first read the New York Times article, I wondered, "Who are these crazy people who think Obama is a closet muslim?"  Then I spoke with my sister.  Turns out our dear mother, a Hillary supporter and solidly Democratic voter, was considering voting for McCain.  The Reverend Wright controversy had her concerned that Obama would not be a friend to Israel or the Jewish people.  

Is there a chance that this concern is thinly veiled racism?  It's possible.  But I'm hoping that cross-generational discussions of these issues will eliminate the confusion and misinformation.

If you're interested in learning more, check out The Great Schlep website.  I've heard they're introducing some funny training videos tomorrow.

No comments: