Tuesday, March 31, 2009

SherriLynn, Community Volunteer.

When we moved back to Seattle, I joined the board of Passages Northwest, an organization that helps girls build confidence through outdoor adventures and the arts.  One day the Executive Director said to me, "We're updating the letterhead to list board members and their job titles.  We're going to list you as a 'community volunteer.'  Okay?"

This very innocent question set off an internal crisis.  My inner dialog went something like this: Community volunteer?!   Anyone can be a community volunteer.  I'm an attorney!  I was on Law Review!  I have national security clearance!  The title, community volunteer, minimizes my experience and contribution to the organization.

Looking back, it's easy to see that this thought process had very little to do with the letterhead of a small nonprofit.  Instead, it was a reflection of my struggle transitioning from D.C. lawyer to Seattle mom.  

In the years since that conversation, I've noticed that "community volunteer" is a common description for board members that are not currently employed.  I've also realized (but really known all along) that the contribution of nonprofit volunteers is measured in terms of impact, not in terms of title.  

Community volunteers provide valuable assistance to many nonprofits.  I'm proud to be one of them.

1 comment:

Irene said...

Community volunteer to community volunteer, I can relate...