Sunday, April 12, 2009

New Focus for SherriLynn: Helping Community Volunteers Be More Effective

In my first blog entry, I admitted that I started this blog without a defined focus.  I'll start blogging, I said, and we'll see where it goes.  The posts have been all over the map.  "Totally random," said a good friend with no qualms about speaking the truth.

Over the same period of time I've been blogging, I've been exploring career ideas.  I'm not ready to go back to the private practice of law and, with firms laying off lawyers by the hundreds, this wouldn't be the right time to that anyway.  

When people ask me what I'm up to these days, I often respond "making up for the bad things I did as a lawyer."  Truthfully, the work I did as a lawyer wasn't that bad.  But, the joke highlights my desire to help those who need it most, not those who are most able to pay.

Which led me to the question, how does one mom with a little bit of time, a passion for social change and desire to be constantly learning, leverage her skills to most effectively help others?

The model is right before me.  One of my favorite Seattle organizations, Social Venture Partners (SVP), helps nonprofits strengthen organizational capacity.  A stronger organization can more effectively and efficiently carry out its mission, SVP thinking goes.  

The same should be true with community volunteers.  Nearly every parent I know is involved in some volunteer activity: planning a school auction, serving on a nonprofit board or committee, or collecting donations for those in need.  Some received fantastic training for these volunteer positions.  Other don't.  What if each of these volunteers was a little bit more effective?  How much could more knowledgeable volunteers boost the ability of organizations to better serve their mission?

I plan to focus this blog on providing ideas, resources and inspiration to community volunteers.  There are lots of great resources out there.  So, I plan on pointing volunteers in the right direction and sharing my personal experience, not necessarily reinventing the wheel.  I'm also hoping some friends will provide some guest post to share their ideas and experiences.

And, for those who love the random posts, don't worry.  I'll be sure to toss in an occasional Barefoot Contessa recipe, kindie rock or Recess Monkey review, and story about Little S.

1 comment:

Leciawp said...

It sounds as if you've put some time and thought into your focus. This sounds like a great niche for you to fill; hope you'll also still throw in some Barefoot Contessa and kindie rock as promised!