Tuesday, April 21, 2009

National Volunteer Week: Effective Ways to Thank Volunteers

Happy National Volunteer Week!  National Volunteer Week, April 19-25, was created to recognize and thank volunteers. 

Deciding how to thank volunteers can be a challenge.  Sure, I've enjoyed the lavish, thank you parties I've attended.  But, I probably don't need another office plaque.  And I definitely didn't need that flower arrangement that looked like a Charlie Brown Christmas tree.

The best thank yous I've received are personal and related to the work of the organization.  Here are some of thank you's I've enjoyed to most:

Thoughtful thank you notes.   For me, a personalized thank you note that recognizes my contribution means more than a doodad that will collect dust in my office.  Seeing that a busy, nonprofit staff member has taken the time to think through and write out a note that goes beyond a generic thank you, makes me feel appreciated.  

Insider events and experiences.  As a fan of Stanford basketball, one of the best thank you's I've ever received was a behind-the-scenes tour of Maples Pavilion by the Athletic Director.  It was a thrill to have access to this unique person and place.  This type of recognition can be done on a smaller scale as well.  A popular example is organizations that have private events with luncheon speakers immediately before or after the event.

Useful, volunteer-only logo items.  PEPS board members that complete their board terms receive beautiful, personalized vases.  The fact that the vase must be earned provides the recipient with an extra feeling of accomplishment.  I've received other useful logo items including a pencil cup, a bright luggage tag, and cool tote bag.

Mission-related books.  I discovered one of my all-time favorite books, The Art of Possibility, by receiving it as a thank you gift.  This inexpensive book provided a wealth of inspiration and insight that continue to provide value to me.

What makes you feel that your volunteer work is valued and appreciated?

No comments: