Tuesday, November 25, 2008

I'm Going to Ethiopia!

In January, I'll be spending a week in Ethiopia with Water 1st.  Water 1st helps some of the poorest communities in the world implement community-managed projects that integrate water supply, sanitation, and health education.

My parents think I'm a little crazy for going on this trip and offered to send me to a Marriott timeshare instead.  A friend suggested I might be happier going to a spa for a week.  I'm looking forward to the adventure, the chance to gain perspective on and appreciate the stability and comfort of my life in Seattle, and the opportunity to help others.

Hopefully, you'll enjoy learning more about Ethiopia with me, hearing about my preparations and reading about my journey.  

Lonely Planet describes travel in Ethiopia as "testing, awe-inspiring, and heartbreaking."  I can't wait!

For the geographically challenged, here's a link to a map of Africa.

4 comments:

Leciawp said...

I can't wait to hear more about it! I'm very impressed.

Anonymous said...

May the God of Ethiopia Bless you and you. You will enjoy your visit. Be mentally prepared for the unexpected!

Who knows you might fall in love with the country, the people or may be a boy friend/husband.

May the true God of Ethiopia fulfill all your wishes!!!

Mimi

Anonymous said...

Here is a good place-marked map of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia (click on the globe at the right column of the site):

http://www.ethioportal.com/

Richard said...

Don't pay any attention to the naysayers, you're doing the right thing.

And welcome to the blog world!