Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics - The Missing Review

When I heard that Ina Garten was coming out with a new cookbook this fall, I rushed to preorder the book, I scoured the Internet for advance recipes and I tried to figure out a way to attend a book tour event.  In a previous post, I discussed the butternut squash salad recipe that was released before the book.  The recipe dazzled my dinner guests and I couldn't wait to see what other wonders Ina had created.

Then Back to Basics arrived.  I flipped through the pages.  The photos are gorgeous, but I found very few recipes that I would make.  Many recipes call for bacon, prosciutto or red meat, ingredients I don't eat.  Others, like Garlic Ciabatta Bread and Mache with Warm Brie & Apples, seem too basic to be called recipes.  Most disappointing, many of the recipes seem derivative of previously published recipes.  For example, Indonesian Grilled Swordfish is like Indonesian Ginger Chicken (BC).  Maple-roasted Butternut Squash is like Caramelized Butternut Squash (BC).  And, Confetti Corn is very reminiscent of Sauteed Fresh Corn (BC Parties).

To be honest, I haven't made enough of the recipes to pan the entire book.  I look forward to trying Roasted Pears with Blue Cheese, Chicken Bouillabaisse, and the Celery Root & Apple Puree.  Still, if you don't have Barefoot Contessa Parties, buy that book instead.  Or, if you're looking for an easier approach, try Barefoot Contessa At Home.

I love you, Ina.  This book is not your best work.

No comments: