Thursday, October 16, 2008

Farewell to Lisa Belkin's print column, Life's Work

I love the New York Times: the insightful Supreme Court and legal reporting, the economic and political analysis, the in-depth international articles.  My "must reads," however, are a little lighter: the Sunday Styles section starting with the wedding announcements, Mark Bittman's recipes, and, until now, Lisa Belkin's Life's Work column.

Lisa Belkin is well know for writing a 2003 article on the Opt-Out Revolution.  This article described the phenomenon of female high-achievers who opt-ed out of the working world to raise their children.  The article evoked a lot of strong reactions.  To me, it rang true.  Many of my friends with Stanford, Yale and other fancy degrees decided to opt-out from the working world. For a while, at least.  

Lisa's weekly column dealt with many work/life balance issues.  In announcing the end of her regular column, Lisa said "[W]hen I was first asked to take on this column, I thought it would be about answers.  I figured I would call smart people and ask them the secrets to balanced working life, and then I would put that in the newspaper and be a hero.  It didn't take me long to realize there were no answers -- just endless and penetrating questions."

Lisa will continue writing for the New York Times magazine and in the blogosphere.  Best of luck with your new endeavors, Lisa.  I'll miss your column! 

No comments: