Thursday, October 2, 2008

What Should I Be When I Grow Up - Part 1

"Go to law school," my dad said to me.  "I'll pay for it."  

And so I did.  

I met some great people in law school, and had some cool experiences during my legal career.  But I never aspired to be an attorney in private practice.  So, when we moved back to Seattle, I didn't look for another job.  "I'll figure it out when Little S is in school full time," I told myself. 

Maybe I've been waiting to be struck by a bolt of lightening.  Hoping I'd wake up one morning and shout, "Eureka!  I have the answer."  It hasn't happened.

In his book, What Should I Do with My Life?, Po Bronson offers the following advice for those waiting for the loud clang of inspiration:

"usually, all we get is a glimmer.  A story we read or someone we briefly met.  A curiosity.  A meek voice inside, whispering.  It's up to us to hammer out the rest.  The rewards of pursuing it are only for those who are willing to listen attentively, only for those people who really care. . . . It won't be easy, and it won't be quick.  Finding what we should do is one of life's great dramas.  It can be an endless process of discovery, one to be appreciated and respected for its difficulty."

I intend to spend some time following those glimmers.  I'll keep you posted.

No comments: