Wednesday, October 22, 2008

OMFGG:So that's what the kids are listening to these days

During the worst of my writers-strike-induced T.V. withdrawal last year, our babysitter recommended that I watch The O.C. on DVD.  The first season was captivating:  the lush Southern California setting, the teen angst and romance, the Cohen family comic relief.  I decided to watch the entire series.  

The quality of the series was, to be polite, uneven.  Despite the ups (Chrismukkah) and downs (that hippy guy at Brown?  Kaitlyn's reappearance?) of the plot line, the music selected for the show was consistently good.

The theme song, California by Phantom Planet, is a great example.  Its haunting longing embodies the unease of the main character, Ryan, and the opening is instantly recognizable.  Jem's version of Maybe I'm Amazed is beautiful and well matched to the wedding scene.  Jeff Buckley's version of Hallelujah and Youth Group's version of Forever Young -- amazing.

When The O.C. creators, Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage, announced that they were creating a new show, Gossip Girl, I ran to set my DVR.  Gossip Girl is much lighter on the teen angst.  It focuses on the lush Manhattan lifestyle of the characters and is the TV equivalent of cotton candy (in the best escapist fantasy sort of way).

Once again, Schwartz and Savage have found incredible indie music to orchestrate their show.  Next week, the Gossip Girl CD, OMFGG (Original Music Featured on Gossip Girl), will be released.  I can't wait.  

Truth be told my music selection is anything but hip these days.  NPR and songs about backpacks and loose teeth have taken over my car stereo.  I can't wait to put OMFGG in the CD player, listen to what the kids are listening to these days, and spend a moment in the alternate universe without home repairs, carpools and juice boxes.

Or maybe I'll download the iTunes version right now.  This version features two bonus tracks: Glamorous by the Constance Billard A Capella Choir and Everytime by Lincoln Hawk.

xoxo,
SherriLynn

No comments: