Sunday, October 5, 2008

Mark Madsen Was Almost my 200th Friend on Facebook




I get way too much e-mail from Facebook.  Usually, I flip through it and delete it without much thought.   A message I received today stopped me cold:  Mark Madsen accepted my friend request and became my 199th friend.

I normally don't try to friend celebrities and athletes.  But Mark (sigh), Mark is different.  

In law school, my days consisted of going to class and the library, eating burritos and watching Stanford basketball.  My first year, I was all about the women's team: Kate Starbird, Jamila Wideman.  Then something happened.  The men's team started playing well.  And, in 1996, Mark started playing for Stanford.

He was a tough competitor for the Cardinal.  He lived up to his Mad Dog nickname.  He turned in highlight reel performances during the NCAA tournament.

And, he was a gentleman off the court.  One day, he noticed my friend, Ginger, buying Stanford Basketball t-shirts at the bookstore.   He offered to autograph the shirts.  I still have the one she gave me.  (see above)  I've never worn it. 

After Stanford, Mark went on to the NBA to play for the Lakers and the Timberwolves.  While with the Lakers, he became friends with Shaq and, unfortunately, showed the world his dance moves.  

I watched Mark play as a Laker once.  We had front row, center court seats, right next to Tim Russert.  Tim noticed my enthusiasm for Mark and started teasing me by yelling, Go White Guy!  By the end of the game, he was cheering for Mark too.

Thanks for accepting my friend request, Mark.  And, good luck with your blog.

1 comment:

Leciawp said...

Great story! How exciting to have a famous "friend".